A colour - filled weekend, working on the first task in the online course with Karen Ruane, " An Embroiderer's Ledger".
" All" we had to do was to choose an image, extract colours in two different media, and then match threads to the extracted colours. To the non-art trained, this seemed a mind-blowing job. Once I managed to select my image, it did prove challenging, but strangely relaxing at the same time. The page below is the result, image about 4 x 6 inches, and the page is abut 12 x 12 inches.
Postcard of Dale Chihuly glass in the desert. Watercolour and coloured pencil showing the extracted colours.
I am using threads that were left by my husband's mother's cousin, therefore many of them no longer have identification bands. I am keeping them on a ring so that I know what shades I used. I found it really difficult to match the ochre, sage green and light turquoise shades from the stock I have, so ended up using blends of threads for some shades.
I must wear something with tighter fitting sleeves when doing this exercise, as some of my circles are distinctly blurred.
The next task is to extract some of the shapes from the image and work those onto a page with some stitched samples. I'm trying not to get nervous about the thought of having to draw - perhaps the scalpel will come out again.
43 minutes ago