Pages

Sunday 17 May 2015

Three periods of history: Magna Carta, the Tudors, WW2

What a weekend, straddling Magna Carta, the Tudors and WW2.  I feel that I have been studying for GCSE history alongside the younger members of my family.

First of all, Magna Carta.  I gave a talk to Thameside Quilters on Friday night about my journal quilts.  This was a lovely experience, and I hope that I encouraged some of that productive group to have a go at journals.  Another part of the evening was a presentation by Paula Doyle about the Magna Carta Quilt.

NewImage

This is a magnificent project, being stitched by 25 quilters, 23 of whom are from Thameside.  Paula brought along two small banners to give a flavour of the colours, fabrics and stitching that will be in the finished pieces.  The back of the quilts will be a mosaic of the Thames and individual blocks of the back are available for sponsorship to cover the costs of this superb piece of work.  I have sponsored a block for our family for posterity.

NewImage

The next day, an immersion in aspects of Tudor history as the Gloriana made her way through Teddington Lock as part of the Tudor Pull.  Great swathes of flags, gilt and red made for memorable images.

Saltire on Gloriana

R1034462

R1034460

R1034467

Then, waiting to come through the lock, were the Dunkirk Little Ships

R1034497

Although there are many of the ships still sailing, there were 18 involved in this flotilla.  All showed loving restoration and attention.

R1034491

R1034492

R1034504

R1034500

Inspiration for this journal challenge, perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you were going to be at Thames side - I'd have come along! I know two friends were there - they went to see the MC thing as they both worked on the Wraysbury one (one was the driving force behind the Wraysbury one!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.