Pages

Sunday 12 January 2014

From the mundane to the sublime in one weekend…..

Like the cobbler's children who have no shoes, mending is very low priority on my list of sewing projects.  However, when it gets to the point that every double duvet cover has some sort of textile-related problem, it is time to act.  The only way to get through it  was to promise myself some more interesting textile time in the afternoon.

Duvet reclamation, apparently, this Ikea design was designed by Cath Kidston before she was "Cath Kidston".  It's the closest I'll currently get to any Cath Kidston and it hasn't worn very well.

P1030054

Now a single duvet cover - female guests only as the boys refuse to have this on their beds, I guess the non-gender -based parenting has failed.  I love seeing the sewing machine whizz through the repeat button holes.

P1030055

Like 95% of quilters, I have a load of unfinished projects.  This year( !) the aim is to finish at least half of them.  This one has languished for over 3 years and only needs 2 blocks to finish.  It  was supposedly an exercise in using a neutral top with curved piecing, but it morphed in to something else.  I wish I had room for a design wall!

P1030049

Lime green sparkling in the sun.

P1030051

and then of course, I decided that some of the existing blocks don't work as well as they could, and that I could make a more interesting back, rather than just use one piece of cloth.  

When does a pieced back become another quilt on the back? - when it takes all afternoon to plan and put together.  The paint squares fabric has been stored for over 15 years, and that is part of the finishing resolution.  If it has larger than 1metre, and has been there for over 10 years - use it, swap it or give it away.

P1030056

And finally some real hand stitching, preparing a piece of American smocking for Morley on Tuesday.   There are several tutorials on the web, and I followed the instructions in the book by Colette Wolfe, " The Art of Manipulating Fabric".  I think my cloth is too sturdy as there are more folds in this piece than in a previous version I attempted.  I deliberately used dark thread in this as I need contrast for the experiment I hope to try on Tuesday.

Back

P1030053

Front - there are two different patterns on here, lattice and lozenge, which is why it looks a bit irregular.

P1030052

Hoping to get the quilt basted up tomorrow night at Richmond and Kew Quilters sewing evening.

 

4 comments:

  1. That smocking looks interesting - once I could tear my eyes away from the brilliant lime green and blue combination, which is one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressed with the mending! I hate mending!! And also impressed with that fabric manipulation! I have a tale to tell with that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff , especially the manipulated?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The American smocking looks great - look forward to seeing what you're going to do with that!

    It's also given me a new shibori idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.