Pages

Sunday 7 September 2014

Vexillography…..…..

………….is the art and practice of designing flags.  As a Scot who has lived outside Scotland for longer than I lived in it, I have no vote in the decision about Scottish independence. However, I have been pondering what might happen to the UK flag if the vote means that Scotland will leave the United Kingdom.  These thoughts have led to some questions and research about flags: who designs them; what size are they; what proportions do they have; how many colours make a distinctive flag?

Coinciding with the start of our quilt groups's round robin challenge, I had my subject.

I have started this quilt with a new flag for the remainder of the UK, without Scotland: running red, light blue waves, the dark blue of the Scottish saltire disappearing off in to the distance, and the black hole of “ what happens now?”.

R1032962

This block is 9 x 15 inches and will hopefully return to me, in 5 months, accompanied by another 5 interpretations of a possible new flag.


3 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I too have been wondering what will happen to the Union Jack if Scotland does decide to break free. I like your idea, think you should send it in as a proposal should it actually happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent theme! Excellent flag idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, love it! I've often wondered where Wales is on the union flag!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.