So, after this long, thankfully I got to Morley on Thursday and carried on working with devore and hot acid dyeing. Devore is a many-stepped process, so it is not surprising that the fabrics are usually costly and used in clothing with minimal cutting and seaming.
Starting from this white silk/viscose velvet
which progressed via this screen printed design ( which I'm calling "Frank Lloyd Wright meets Charles Rennie Mackintosh at the Willow Tea Rooms")
to finish as this wonderful teal scarf, dyed using Kemtex hot acid dyes.
I hope I'll be able to repeat this colour, as I did take notes while I added a dash of the and a smidgeon of that.
Next up, a finished cot quilt. Liberty lookalike braid panels ( donated to our group) machine pieced with neutral panels, and then hand-quilted a la Nikki Tinkler.
Lessons learned from this one,
1 if you are going to use a quilting stencil, make sure you remember which way up you placed your cables, so that they are going in the direction you want - please don't ask me any I am writing that one
2 if you are going to use hand-dyed threads ( particularly red) makes sure to test them for colour-fastness first
3 similarly, if you are going to use a thread that gives a unique finish, make sure that you can get more of it before you start your project
As my samples from Morley are accumulating, I'm using some of the synthetics to try out stitching methods that I've never tried. First up, lattice smocking
A bit all over the place, not helped by the fact that is was done while watching the extended version of " The Fellowship of the Ring", but worth exploring further.
6 hours ago