Pages

Sunday 10 May 2009

Reuse and recycle

My older son's school has been gathering fruit net bags to use in an art installation this term. I love the orange colour of the bags used for citrus fruit and wanted to make a little journal quilt with them. Many thoughts have gone in to this one, but particularly the pressure on young women to spend a fortune on wedding dresses that they will wear once.


In the spirit of recycling, the net is filled with scraps of offcuts from the birds quilt. The dress has machine trapunto behind it, and the upper torso is free-machine stitched onto the background calico. The words are written on with a pigma pen in red. I've left the bottom of the dress and the end of the quilt as a raw edge to give a bit of movement. I quilted round the edge and then added a few more wobbly contours for a play on body / geographical contours. The wording on the left side says "how many times will she get to wear that?", and on the right says " reduce, re-use, recycle, re-make, revamp, repair".

I quite like this, but my drawing skills need more work! This one is off to the Little Gems fundraiser.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.