Pages

Thursday 8 August 2019

Journal quilts 2019, continued, May, glimpse of hope?

Trigger warning - politics ahead.
The brief for the next series of journal quilts was that they had to include a substance that was not cotton, woven cloth. As the Brexit farce continues apace, I had to continue with this theme. That means that this series of 4 is neither pretty nor technically skilled  - rather like the current political environment.
I experimented with newspaper painted with acrylic paint, then  backed with fusible, woven cotton interfacing, before layering with wadding and backing.
20190808_102118
Painted newspaper with a flash of green cotton to represent the successes of green candidates in the local elections, giving us some hope?

Paint is a mix of red, white, blue and yellow, giving a murky green - representing the state of my spirits.

There is quilting on this, it is just rather difficult to see, like the UK’s future outside the EU.

Edged with black mourning ribbon.

3 comments:

  1. Not pretty but definitely apposite. I've shied away from making art about brexit but for me you're spot on with this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jac, the impending nightmare that is about to happen is too big to ignore. I've had to channel my panic in to creativity, otherwise I would be just running around asking people " do you realise what is about to happen and being terrified at their bemused expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how long the painted and backed paper will last - an interesting experiment. I'm more hopeful for that than for the turmoil of Brexit to be short lived.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.