Pages

Tuesday 11 February 2014

Trees, development of disperse dyeing

The deadline is approaching for the Made at Morley competition, where I have been trying to develop my tree theme.  Today was an exploration of khaki / brown colours and different textures.  I'm veering away from actual depictions of trees and more towards  textures that suggest bark , battlefields, broken trees.

Discharged papers after printing

IMG 0233

Section of printed cloth

IMG 0231

Next section

IMG 0229

Final section

IMG 0228

It was interesting how different people interpreted the jagged shapes.  I've been looking at the tree trunks for so long, that is all they said to me, but others saw marching legs or barbed wire.  Both very appropriate in the circumstances.  I now need to work this colour palette in to the previous teal / orange colour way and develop ways to get smoother transitions between one section and the next.  The stitched trees are just jarring with the print at the moment, so I've decided to stick with just print and see where it goes.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness! That was a productive day! I particularly love those papers at the top. Hope that you find a good transition method - would stitching help with that? Are you dying threads as well? I'm sure that whatever you choose will be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I didn't like brown, but there is something about these that is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.