Pages

Sunday 28 October 2012

Black and white ledger for Halloween

In between helping my elder son prepare a costume for his first Halloween "home alone", I have been continuing to explore the shapes from my first ledger exercise. A fortuitous mistake with the Morley photocopier, led to an interesting juxtaposition of a grid underneath the more biomorphic shapes. The paper is reinforced with iron-on vilene to allow reasonably robust stitching on top.
P1000153
I also used the copier to experiment with changing scale, inverting the colours of the shapes and multiple repetitions. This is such a revelation to me, that design can be worked at methodically to come up with all sorts of interesting variations. Before doing my recent courses, I had this image that design / art just appeared in makers' minds, fully formed and as a result of some sort of cosmic inspiration force. I now realise that this is not the case.

The left hand side has more stitched inserts
P1000154

and the right hand side has some stitching in glow-in-the-dark thread. Difficult to photograph, but this gives the idea.
P1000156

Happy Halloween.

4 comments:

  1. So lovely to see your ledger in such detail - your work is beautiful and you have so many ideas! Also enjoyed reading your post about the Sketchbook Project. I have a book in the project and your post has been one of the first ive seen with comments and other pics. Wish I had been able to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it. I now want a photocopier rather than a scanner / printer - I want clear black and white, not grey and purple! Really splendid. Hope DS enjoys his halloween too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I I love the glow in the dark, I still have the postcard you sent years ago from a BQL swap: EEK that glows in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the gorgeous short you sent me. I love them! Thanks so much. They will be off to a project in India in a couple of weeks time! Thanks for your support. Louise xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.